Its no news that Egypt has been unveiled as the host for the 2019 African Cup of Nations due to insecurity issues in Cameroon. I was really looking forward to Cameroon. I’d have crossed Cameroon off my bucket list and being a French speaking country, I was hoping to practice my new language just like here . In addition, I would prefer to head out to somewhere new, but oh well😪
If you’re thinking of heading to Egypt for the games, you are required to apply for and obtain a tourist visa to gain entry into Egypt. If you stumble on this post while looking for Egypt Visa requirement for a business, sports medical or study visa, feel free to drop a comment asking and I will forward the Egypt Visa requirement as received. The Egypt Visa requirement provided below for a tourist visa are as received from the Egyptian Consulate in Abuja on the 17th of January 2019 for Nigerians and Foreigners with residents permit in Nigeria
- ORIGINAL INTRODUCTION LETTER FROM PLACE OF WORK.
- UNPAID AIR TICKET RESERVATION
- ORIGINAL BANK STATEMENTS OF SIX MONTHS
- UNPAID HOTEL RESERVATION
- COPY OF DATA PAGE OF PASSPORT
- COPY OF I.D. CARD
- FOR COUPLE, A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IS MANDATORY
- 2 PASSPORT PICTURE ON WHITE BACKGROUND
- YELLOW CARD AND POLIO VACCINATION
- A DULY COMPLETED Visa Application Form IS TO BE SUBMITTED WITH THE MENTIONED DOCUMENT
- MEDICAL FITNESS CERTIFICATE FROM NIGERIAN TURKISH HOSPITAL, ASOKORO HOSPITAL OR GARKI HOSPITAL. IF NOT BASED IN ABUJA, MEDICAL REPORT CAN BE GOTTEN FROM ANY GOVT. RECOGNIZED HOSPITAL IN PLACE OF ABODE.
- FOR FOREIGNERS, ATTACH RESIDENCE /WORK PERMIT
IF ALL ABOVE-MENTIONED REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT COMPLETED DURING SUBMISSION, APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED.
KINDLY NOTE THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- APPLICATION IS TO BE SUBMITTED 3 WEEKS EARLIER AS VISA PROCESSING TAKES 2 – 3 WEEKS AND APPROVALS COME FROM THE HOME OFFICE.
- SINGLE ENTRY FEE IS 75 DOLLARS AND MULTIPLE ENTRY FEE 120 DOLLARS (PAYMENT IS DONE IN DOLLARS CASH). VISA FEE FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS LIVING IN NIGERIA IS 35 DOLLARS FOR SINGLE ENTRY AND 50 DOLLARS FOR MULTIPLE ENTRY BOTH VALID FOR THREE MONTHS.
- VISA SUBMISSION HOURS IS 9AM TO 11.00AM, RAMADAN PERIOD, CONSULAR HOURS BECOME 10-12PM. IT IS A WALK-IN SUBMISSION PROCESS.
- PASSPORT COLLECTION IS 11-12PM , MONDAYS TO THURSDAYS.
- VISA APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED IN PERSON AND IN ABUJA. IF A FAMILY, THE HEAD CAN SUBMIT ON BEHALF OF THE OTHERS.
- THERE IS ONLY ONE EMBASSY FOR CONSULAR MATTERS , THE EMBASSY IN ABUJA.
- EMBASSY IS LOCATED AT PLOT 340, DIPLOMATIC DRIVE, CENTRAL AREA (BESIDE THE UN HOUSE) ABUJA.
- PAYMENT IS ONLY MADE IF VISA REQUEST IS GRANTED. NO FEE IS COLLECTED IF DENIED.
- IF TRAVELING WITH CHILD, BIRTH CERTIFICATE COPY SHOULD BE INCLUDED AND IF NOT WITH PARENTS, A LETTER OF AUTHORIZATION MUST BE GIVEN BY PARENTS.
- IF STAYING WITH SOMEONE, THEN PROVIDE PROOF OF ACCOMMODATION.
- IF BEING INVITED BY A PERSONAL FRIEND FROM EGYPT, HE OR SHE SHOULD SEND YOU A LETTER OF INVITATION.
- THE EMBASSY DOES NOT HAVE AVAILABLE FAST TRACKING PROCESS.
- EVEN IN GROUP APPLICATION, IN MOST CASES EACH APPLICATION MAY BE TREATED AND DECISION MADE SEPARATELY.
- EMBASSY HAS NO COURIER SERVICES AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT HENCE SUBMISSION IN PERSON AND COLLECTION EITHER IN PERSON OR A REPRESENTATIVE.
All Information in CAPS are as received from the Embassy. I applied for the Egypt Visa in 2016 and although the documentation and rules have slightly changed, Kindly note the following experiences.
- Visa processing for me costed 3 Trips to Abuja and 3 Months in wait time.
- Although interviews are not customary, you just might be invited for a visa interview, mine was informal and just over the submission counter.
- I dropped off my collection slip with my friend I’m Abuja after applying. He collected my passport on my behalf.
Egypt offers a lot and asides thé African Cup of nations football ttournament which might be your sole aim of heading there, you should check out the city, culture and food. I have a couple of posts here, here, here, here and here. ing my time in Egypt. I am working on putting them all in one post.